Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 12, 2011

April 2011 - From Snow to Sun

On the first day of April, Ethan and I were watching the huge snowflakes come down as we were eating lunch. They were some of the biggest snowflakes I have ever seen!
I think over the course of the month of April, not only will you see a huge change in Ethan's looks, we also saw a huge explosion in his ability to communicate and problem solve. One of his new favorite things to do is to put things back where they belong - finally! - and to put his toys in straight lines. Although his trucks are usually lined up along the couch (there's probably about 15 of them), he decided this day that they ALL needed to go in his toy box. He spent a good amount of time making them all fit and was pretty proud when he finished.
As you may have noticed in the picture above, his little boy hair was getting pretty shaggy again. I took him to Kid's Cuts and had him cleaned up. She even put gel in his hair and made him look pretty snazzy.
Now that it is finally getting nice outside, Ethan and Mike spend a lot of time outside. Whether it is cooking on the grill or just roaming around the yard, outside is definitely his favorite place to be. He discovered how hard it is to walk up and down the hills on soft grass, especially with hard bottomed shoes on. He also noticed how the different surfaces sound different. He especially loves walking on rocks!

Like I said, he is really growing with his problem solving skills. Instead of completely destroying any order to his toys, he now loves organizing and putting things away. Let me tell you, it makes clean up at the end of the day MUCH easier! Here he is with Mike putting together a puzzle. He can easily find where the pieces go and can put them in pretty much by himself. Sometimes he gets a little frustrated when the pieces don't go in right away and needs a little help figuring out the right position. His favorite right now are the puzzles with the chunky wood pieces.Although it seems like it should have maybe grown old by now, hide and seek is still one of our favorite games. The only difference is that he is getting really good at finding new hiding places. Here he is in his little car from his Great Aunt Mel. He loves zooming around the basement making car noises and crashing into the furniture!
One of our nightly traditions has become watching the news and Wheel of Fortune. Apparently this night it was even more fun because he watched the shows perched on my back. He loves Wheel of Fortune because we can clap, cheer and even say some of the letters (R, W (said dubee)E, T, L, A, O, S (although Ethan thinks this is yes), and I to name a few)
Although it was a pretty stinky way to spend some time in April, Ethan did have a touch of the flu for about 24 hours. Not only did he throw up three times, he chose some pretty awkward times to do it. The first one was right when the insurance guy was pulling into the driveway and the third was just as we had pulled into the carwash and had to keep all of the windows shut. I sure hope we can stay away from the flu in the future, talk about no fun!
Finally, at the end of the month, we got to celebrate Easter. We started off the weekend with a trip to K&W greeneries with Kel, Chad, and Lainey. We thought Ethan would be afraid of the Easter Bunny, but he loved him! He even tried to pull his ears.
At K&W, they had lots of animals including goats, little ponies, chicks, dogs, and cats. I think the favorite of the day was the little chicks. Here are Ethan and Lainey petting the little chicks while Kel held them.

Our plan for Easter was to spend time with Mike's side of the family. However, church service did not start until 10 this year, so we went over to my dad's in the morning so Ethan could open up his Easter present. Doesn't he look precious in his little sweater vest?
Although it isn't the greatest family pic, here we all are on Easter morning!Part of Ethan's Easter present was this super cute blue Easter bunny. It was perfect for a quick Easter pose.After our quick visit, we went to the morning church service. Since it went pretty late, they had lots of snacks and napped right after the service. While they slept, the grown ups were able to enjoy a nice Easter meal kid free. When they woke up, we went out the cabin. The weather was nice enough to spend some time playing outside in the sandbox. It is huge and lots of fun!Ethan also took some time to help out with the yardwork that needed to get done! Do you think he has helped his daddy rake a time or two?After we finished up at the cabin we zipped over to say hi to Ethan's other grandma, my mom. Although she had already stopped over to drop off Ethan's Easter gift the night before, we decided since we had a little extra time, a quick visit might be nice!

Our final big event in April was Ethan's first injury followed by his first dentist appointment. Although they don't usually see kids this early, they thought it would be good to take a look at Ethan's chipped tooth. Earlier this month he was running around in the basement carrying his toy piggy bank. He tripped, fell, and his chin landed on the piggy bank. At first I thought he just bit his lip, but when I went to change him later in the day I noticed he chipped off the inside corner of his front tooth. Anyway, after a quick visit with the dentist, we were given the good news that his tooth is going to be just fine! She also reassured us that although he is 17 months old and only has 4 teeth, there is no need to worry!
Since Ethan's words are growing by the day, I won't continue to post all of his new words. I do want to mention that his first, and new favorite phrase, is "there ya go." He says it about EVERYTHING!!! He also no longer says "see ya" and has replaced it with "buh bye"

1 comment:

Tracey Leeder said...

I love the snowflake pictures you took. The greenbelt picture is beautiful. Looks like a great time was had by all at K&W. I never knew they did things like that there. Good to know. I love your blog. You have such a way with words and descriptions. Even though I see you guys several times a week, its still good to keep up to date with all Ethans words and progress so I know what hes doing when I watch him. Love you!